This week on HeightsCast, we feature a recording of the 2022 Headmaster’s Lecture on the man fully alive. In this lecture, Mr. Alvaro de Vicente helps us understand what we mean when we use St. Irenaeus’ oft-quoted though seldom understood words that gloria Dei est vivens homo: the glory of God is living man.
Mr. de Vicente shares his thoughts on the destination and the road ahead, suggesting that to live fully on earth we must understand that the fullness of life is found only in heaven. And if we are to reach this destination which is our destiny, we should see this life as practice for the next.
In particular, he offers three actions that are the best practice for heaven:
- To play
- To see
- To commit
Taking us through each of these, Mr. de Vicente helps us to approach life in a playful way, taking ourselves lightly and others seriously; to discover the beauty of the world, contemplating with loving eyes and a grateful heart; and to commit fully, passionately persevering in our love for others. Our boys will not live these ideals perfectly—we will not live them perfectly—but if together we begin and begin again often, we will be well on the way; and that will be a taste of heaven.
- 2:43 Origins of the tagline “Men fully alive”
- 4:01 Man fully alive: what does this mean?
- 4:14 Common notions
- 5:18 Man as the masterpiece of God
- 7:56 What is man?
- 9:01 Crisis of masculinity: either brutes or wimps
- 9:45 Life on earth as a preparation for heaven
- 11:07 What is heaven?
- 12:36 Practice for heaven
- 13:16 A man with a mission
- 16:31 To play
- 16:33 Physical play
- 19:06 Approaching life in a playful way
- 22:31 A game with two halves
- 26:09 To see
- 27:56 Blindness as an illness of the soul
- 29:36 The Little Prince and our inability to see beauty
- 30:54 When the truth complicates my life
- 32:48 Who you are and what you are here for
- 33:32 On contemplation
- 34:36 Finding beauty
- 36:47 Life as a museum
- 37:21 Seeing with the mind’s eye
- 39:41 Seeing with the heart
- 41:33 To commit
- 42:11 The man in a wheelchair
- 43:40 Closing doors
- 45:20 On the passions
- 48:01 Commitment is different from a self-help book
- 48:41 Screwtape on love and marriage
- 51:58 Faithfulness over time is the name of love (Benedict XVI)
- 52:41 The danger of overcommitting
- 54:26 Conclusion
Also on The Forum
Foundations of Hope: Raising Optimistic Men Fully Alive with Alvaro de Vicente
The Education of “Men Fully Alive”: The Mission and Vision of The Heights with Alvaro de Vicente
Who Am I?: The Question of Persona with Alvaro de Vicente
Our Little Protectors: How Do WE See Our Boys? with Alvaro de Vicente
Forming Wise, Courageous Risk-Takers with Alvaro de Vicente
In Defense of Victory by Kyle Blackmer
Against Heresies by St. Irenaeus